Winter is upon us, ‘tis the season to be jolly but that’s hard when you have a nasty cold or cough. Essential oils can be a great help because many contain naturally occurring chemicals that are deeply therapeutic for the respiratory system.
Therapeutic Effects of Essential Oils for Colds and Coughs
- Decongestant – relief for a blocked or stuffy nose and other airways. Black Pepper, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Lemon, Lime, Orange, Rosemary.
- Expectorant – promotes the secretion of mucus by the airways, useful for treating chesty coughs. Basil, Black Pepper, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Ginger, Peppermint, Pine, Rosemary, Thyme.
- Mucolytic – thins mucus so it’s easier to cough up. Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Lime, Peppermint, Rosemary.
- Anti-inflammatory – reduces inflammation in the airways. Clove, Lavender, Rosemary.
- Antiseptic/Bactericidal – helps to fight infection. Clove, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fennel, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Lime, Marjoram, Niaouli, Orange, Palmarosa, Peppermint, Pine, Rosemary, Niaouli, Tea tree, Thyme.
- Antiviral – helps fight viruses. Bergamot, Clove, Coriander, Eucalyptus, Grapefruit, Lavender, Marjoram, Niaouli, Palmarosa, Peppermint, Rosemary, Tea tree.
- Antispasmodic – helps relieve muscle spasms caused by continuous coughing. Cinnamon Leaf, Ginger, Jasmine, Lemon, Marjoram.
So the best way to treat a cold with essential oils is to use a blend of some of the above. You could use them in many ways: in an essential oil burner or electronic diffuser; a few drops on a tissue or your pillow at night; steam inhalation; apply to your chest diluted in an oil or cream; in your bath or shower gel.
My Favourite Essential Oil Blends for Combating Colds and Coughs
- Clear & Refresh – An invigorating blend of Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, and Sweet Marjoram pure essential oils. Great for easing respiratory congestion, with Lemongrass for headaches. Very pleasant lemony camphor-like aroma with a hint of herbs. This blend also comes as a massage oil.
- Calming – a relaxing blend of Frankincense, Lime and Lavender pure essential oils. Helps gently secrete and thin mucus. Eases breathing and coughing through being deeply calming (also good for Asthma). It has a gorgeous earthy, sweet citrus aroma. This blend also comes as a massage oil.
- Revitalising – an uplifting blend of Rosemary, Sweet Marjoram, and Orange pure essential oils. Great for easing cold symptoms, as well as helping with fatigue and concentration if you’re all stuffed up. Invigorating warm herbal aroma, with a hint of sweet citrus.
- Stimulating – a stimulating blend of Peppermint, Rosemary, and Lemon pure essential oils. Great for easing cold symptoms, and the headache that often accompanies being congested. Uplifting minty, herbal, refreshing-citrus aroma.
And if you fancy trying a shower gel that clears your airways and helps you start your day with a zing look no further than my Refreshing Shower Gel. Peppermint, Marjoram, and Lemon pure essential oils combine to provide a truly uplifting shower experience.
I hope you find this article useful, and that my blends help ease your cold symptoms. If you would prefer you could of course use individual essential oils. Or have fun blending your own!